Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Juice Cleanse Wrap Up with Collards

Today was my first full day of food.  My 4 day juice cleanse went surprisingly well.  I did not have too many times of hunger and I got to discovered new juices.  My favorite was a combination of apple, carrot, ginger and romaine lettuce.  Yum!  I find it is harder to control cravings for certain foods now that I am back eating food.  The sad thing is I have to introduce foods back slowly so tofu, which I have been really craving today, will have to wait a little longer.  

One thing the cleanse experience taught me was a re-appreciation for healthy food.  It is so easy to reach for comfort food sometimes, even though grabbing healthy quinoa and greens can create a dinner which is both satisfying and tasty.


Quinoa Stuffed Collard Wraps

2 cups cooked Quinoa
1 Tb Olive Oil
1 Yellow Pepper, chopped
1 Red Pepper, chopped
1 small Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 large Tomato, chopped
1 Tb Lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 Collard Green Leaves, steamed

Look for pre-rinsed Quinoa or rinse the Quinoa before use.  Prepare the quinoa as directed; set aside.  Saute the onion, peppers and garlic in the oil until soft.  Add the quinoa, tomato, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Steam the collards and rinse them off with cold water so you can handle them.  Dry the collards with a paper towell.  Place the collard green leaf on a flat surface, with the smooth side down.  Fill the lower, wider section of the leaf with the quinoa mixture, leaving room on the sides.  Fold the leaf sides into the middle and roll the leaf up, similar to a burrito.  Repeat with the rest of the collard green leaves.

2 comments:

seven said...

Yay that you did your cleanse!
I am also on a cleanse, the master cleanse...on day 5 and stopping at 10 days!
I am sooooo thankful to see your blog!
xo.

Margaret said...

GReat blog. I'm on day 22 of a juice cleanse. Going to go 30-40 days. Not sure yet.
http://www.veganrawfood.net