Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Yes, the chili is good.

I decided to make a large pot of chili and made so much, I had enough for 4 lunches and to bring it to a potluck. Normally when chili shows up at a potluck I am not excited, but I've experienced many boring chilis in my time. So I was not too surprised when a friend asked me if it was good (of course!) and didn't touch it at first. As soon as she found out the chili contained the Gimme Lean Vegetarian beef, she was reaching for her share. Luckily, she and many others, did enjoy this chili and I hope you do as well. It will make a lot so either cut the recipe in half or plan to have it for lunches for awhile, or bring to a potluck, or both.


So this is the part where I share the recipe.  Um...  I have a bit of a problem.  I am horrible at not losing my recipes.  There are so many other recipes I have wanted to share, but then when I sit down to enter them in my computer, the nice piece of paper with all my notes has disappeared.  I don't believe my house is haunted, so there must be little fairies who take them and enjoy them too much to give back.  So, this is what I approximately did.  It is always best to use spices to your own liking anyway.

Exciting Veggie Chili

1 Tb Oil
1 tube of Gimme Lean "Beef"
1 medium Onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Bell Peppers, chopped
1 15 oz can Kidney Beans
1 - 25 oz can Pinto Beans
1 - 28 oz can Tomatoes, diced
1 cup Tomato Sauce
3 - 4 cups water
1/2 lime, juiced
1 - 4 oz can Green Chiles, chopped
1 Tb Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Garlic Granules
2 tsp Onion Granules
1 tsp Salt

In a large pot, heat the oil on medium heat.  Break apart the gimme lean into the pot.  I keep my hands wet so it does not stick to my hands.  Cover the gimme lean pieces in oil.  Once it starts to brown, add the onion and cook about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and bell pepper and allow to cook a few more minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients and cook about 20 minutes to combine flavors.  For a thicker chili, use less water.  

1 comment:

jd said...

Yay for vegan chili - that looks SO good!

I love mine with lots of oyster crackers on top. And sometimes I serve it over brown rice/elbow macaroni...

Don't you just love how chili is even better the next day?!