Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cabin Dining

This month I took a long weekend and rented a log cabin near Mt. Hood with a friend.  The cabin, built in 1939 as a vacation home, is beautiful and the inside decor fits the place nicely .  The back porch was my favorite since there were trees and paths leading to the Sandy River.  I could just sit out there and relax all day long.  

On Saturday we took a trip to Timberline Lodge.  I forget how close the mountain is and wasn't sure why I don't visit more often.  Mt. Hood was gorgeous of course.  The day was clear with just a few clouds hanging around.  The lodge itself has a lot of history inside which I could see even with just a glance here and there.  We went to the restaurant inside the lodge and did not see many vegan options besides a salad but the blackberry ice tea was great.  

My real treat is when we went exploring outside afterwards.  Suddenly chipmunks started to pop up everywhere.  Really, there were just a few of them, but they were running all around so it seemed like a lot more.  One chipmunk acted a little shy, but every time I started to leave she got closer to me.  She was posing like crazy and I was excited to get some good shots of her and some others.
Saturday night was my turn to make dinner.  I was obsessed with this meal for a few weeks in spring and decided to share it with my friend.  This is by no means me trying to make an authentic Thai dish.  This is me taking some of my favorite Thai ingredients and making my own dish that I enjoy.  I hope you do as well.


Red Curry Noodles
Makes 4 servings.

12 oz. Rice Noodles
1 Tb. Olive Oil
8 oz. Tofu, cubed
1 cup Veggies, chopped
1 clove Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Green Onion, chopped
14 oz. Coconut Milk, Light
1/2 tsp. Red Curry Paste
3 Tb Braggs
1 Lime, squeezed
1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast

To cook the noodles, bring about 6 cups of water to a boil.  Turn off heat and add noodles.  Let sit 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Drain and rinse with cold water.

Cook tofu in the olive oil until it starts to brown.  Add veggies of choice (I like red peppers and broccoli) and garlic and cook about 5 minutes.  Add the green onion and cook an additional minute.  In a bowl, combine the coconut milk, lime juice, Braggs and red curry paste.  Pour this mixture into the cooking tofu and veggies.  Add the cooked and drained pasta.  Sprinkle the nutritional yeast on top.  Cook for 5 minutes, or until most of the coconut milk is absorbed.  Make sure to mix often so the noodles absorb the liquid evenly.

4 comments:

Cassidy said...

That sounds like a lovely time! This recipe looks soooo good, I'll have to make it!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and that curry looks delish. I'll have to try it!

tofufreak said...

those chipmunks are SO ADORABLE!!!! that looks like so much fun!!! curry noodles for dinner sounds yummy :D

Kaleb Stone said...

Thaanks for a great read