Friday, November 28, 2008

Heavenly Biscuits

I had such a great Thanksgiving feast with my friends. A friend of mine brought over stuffed squash filled with wild rice, nuts and even pomegranate seeds. These were an interesting addition to the dish which gave you bursts of flavor in every bite. Great idea! I made my gluten roast with stuffing and these biscuits which helped cheer me up after having a sad morning. Just watching the biscuits puff up nicely and tasting the flaky layers made me remember good things do happen. I joked to a friend that these biscuits took a trip to heaven while in the oven. Hope you like them as much as I did!


"Buttermilk" Biscuits

4 cups Unbleached White Flour
1 Tb. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. salt
1 Tb. sugar
1 cup Soy Margarine
2 cups Soymilk + 1 Tb. Lemon Juice

Combine the soymilk and lemon juice and let stand a few minutes. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Using a pastry cutter, cut the soy margarine into the flour mixture until pea sizes or smaller. Pour the soymilk mixture and blend until combined. Place dough on a floured work surface and knead a couple times. Spread the dough out to about 3/4 inch thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 15-18 minutes. Makes about 20 biscuits.

*This tastes great with Cranberry "Butter". Simply mix up equal proportions soy margarine and cranberry sauce. So if you use 1/2 cup Soy Margarine, you will use 1/2 cup Cranberry Sauce. Simply put this in a food processor (or blender) and blend until smooth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

biscuits are my go-to favorite, comforting, pillowy cloudy thing to eat on the whole earth - i will definitely try your recipe!