Monday, February 9, 2009

Soyrizo Chili with Cheesy Waffles

The other day a friend came over with some soyrizo to use for tofu scrambles.  We used a little for that purpose but I still had half of it left.  She mentioned making chili with it and I can't believe I hadn't thought of it before.  Luckily I had all the ingredients at home and needed something for dinner which would also provide some leftovers for lunches at work.  I really enjoyed the results and the lime juice added a little something different.

I have been missing bread the most with my gluten free eating.  I had two frozen waffles in the freezer so I decided to try something a little different and melt some cheese on them.  I baked them up and gave them a taste and was pleasantly surprised. The waffles provided a great surface for the cheese to melt into.  I could see these waffles be very versatile with making garlic bread, mini pizzas and so much more.  


Soyrizo Chili

1 Tb Oil
1/2 Onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Bell Peppers (any color), chopped
1/2 container (6 oz) Soyrizo
28 oz can Crushed Tomato
1/4 tsp Garlic granules
1/4 tsp Onion granules
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
1/2 tsp Cumin
2 Tb Nutritional Yeast
25 oz can Pinto Beans
1/2 of a Lime, juiced
2 cups Water
1 tsp Salt

Saute onion and garlic until clear on medium-high heat.  Add the bell peppers and cook a couple more minutes.  Add the soyrizo and spices and cook a little longer.  Add the pinto beans, tomatoes, water, lime juice and nutritional yeast.  Heat until the chili starts to boil and turn down heat to a simmer.  Cook an additional 15-20 minutes.  Adjust salt and spice to your liking.

Top with a spoonful of tofutti sour cream or a gluten free cheesy waffle on the side.

Cheesy Waffle
Shred Follow Your Heart cheese on top of a gluten free frozen waffle (I like the brand Van's).  Sprinkle the top with a little garlic granules.  Bake at 400ºF until half melted, about 10 minutes.  Turn oven to broil and heat until the cheese is melted.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love the waffle idea! The chili sounds wonderful!