Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Triple Threat Dessert

Sorry it has been a little long since my last post. When I started my blog in the summer, the sunshine allowed me to get some great lighting for my food photos. Ever since the fall, when the sun was not usually available, especially when at home, I have been struggling with getting decent photos. I am very particular with my photos and want them to look really nice. I don't have the set up for inside photography, so I just can't seem to get good enough photos lately. I am doing research for some creative and cheap lighting ideas, so hopefully I won't let me photo quality get in the way of my postings for much longer. Until I figure it all out, please forgive my less than ideal photography. Just know that I will only post truly tasty recipes on here.

This recipe is not the most beautiful no matter how you frame it. I entered this recipe in Northwest Veg’s monthly potluck for a valentine bake off. There were about 15 baked goods entered in the contest and almost 80 people in attendance at the potluck. There was an award for the prettiest dessert. If there was an award for the ugliest, mine would have probably won, especially after cutting it so everyone could have a sample. Luckily, it won the most original and fan favorite instead.




Gluten Free Cheesecake Cherry Brownies

8 oz. Frozen Cherries, defrosted & blended

Cheesecake:

2 - 8 oz containers Tofutti Cream Cheese
1 - 12.3 oz pkg Silken Tofu
3/4 cup Organic Unrefined Cane Sugar
1/4 cup Cornstarch
1 tsp Vanilla

Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Set aside for use later in the refrigerator. This can be store for a few days if needed.

Brownies:

1/3 cup Sweet White Rice Flour
1 cup Water
1/2 cup Soy Margarine
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Cocoa
2 cups Organic Unrefined Cane Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla
1 1/4 cup Sweet White Rice Flour
1/2 cup Sorghum Flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Guar Gum

To make the brownies, whisk together the 1/3 cup Sweet White Rice Flour and the 1 cup water in a shallow pan. Heat on medium heat and whisk until thickened. Take off the burner and let cool. In medium sauce pan, combine the margarine and chocolate chips, place on stove burner and heat on medium until melted. Add the cocoa and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Take off the burner and allow to cool.

Combine the sugar, salt and vanilla with the cooled flour mixture. Then, add the cooled chocolate mixture and blend until fully combined. In a separate bowl, mix the flours, baking powder and guar gum. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and with a spatula or spoon, stir to combine.

Spread the brownie batter in a greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Spread the cherries on top of the brownie batter. Slowly spread the cheesecake batter over the cherry layer and spread to evenly cover the baking dish. Bake at 350ºF for 40 minutes. Allow to cool at room temperature, then place in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight for the cheesecake to set.

No comments: