Sunday, April 5, 2009

Brownies

When I am asked to teach a baking class, if I have time, I like to create new recipes for the event.  It is a great excuse to add more recipes to my file and learn more about baking.  Brownies can be difficult to make vegan from an original recipes since for some reason the results sometimes don't work with commercial egg replacers.  So I decided this would be a great recipe to veganize.  I looked at a recipe with eggs and decided to try using blended silken tofu as the egg replacer.  I decided on this egg replacer since it is flavorless and has a good texture.  I hoped it would allow the brownie to have the correct consistency and possibly make it more moist, in a good way.  The original recipe called for 2 eggs, so I used 1/4 cup blended silken tofu for each egg.  It is important to make sure you use silken tofu, which has a very different consistency than a regular tofu you might use for a stir fry.  The results were just like I was hoping for!


Brownies

1/2 cup Soy Margarine, melted
1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
1 cup Organic Cane Sugar
1/2 cup Silken Tofu, blended
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup Unbleached White Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a 9-inch square pan; set aside.  Combine the melted margarine and cocoa.  Add the sugar, silken tofu and vanilla and beat until smooth.  Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine.  Spread into the pan and bake for 30 minutes.  Makes 16 brownies.