Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Carrot Cake!

Birthdays are always a great excuse to celebrate, even if the person isn’t excited about the new number to their age. I remember when I was young, age didn’t really mean much. It was all about doing something fun which was all about me on a certain day. And I got to eat cake. Cake has always been the symbol of celebrating another year of living and with good reason. It is sweet, and moist and soft (hopefully) and can be an adventure since there are so many flavors and ways to dress up it up. For my friend Jacqueline, she requested Carrot Cake and I am so glad she did. I like to add pineapple and a little coconut to my carrot cakes, and no raisins! The results were so perfect I ended up eating two slices that day and getting a little sick from all the sugar. But it was worth it!


Carrot Cake Deluxe

1 ½ cups Organic Raw Sugar
¾ cup Oil
¾ cup Silken Tofu, blended
2 tsp Vanilla
2 cups Unbleached White Flour
1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
2 cups Carrot, shredded
8 oz crushed Pineapple, crushed & drained
½ cup Coconut, shredded (unsweetened)
½ cup Pecan Pieces

Mix together the sugar and oil. Add the tofu until smooth. Add the vanilla and mix again. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until barely combined. Add the pineapple, coconut and carrot. Mix until just combined. Spread the batter into two greased 9-inch cake pans. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes. Let cool before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz Tofutti Cream Cheese
¼ cup Soy Margarine
2 ½ cups Powdered Sugar

Cream together all the ingredients until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if needed for a thicker consistency. Spread on cake and enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, thank you for that recipe!
I used to love carrot cake A LOT when I was still lacto-ovo and I had this totally awesome wholesome recipe that called for quite some dairy and bees products that my family (but noone else) liked... well, I gave up on carrot cake a long time ago *sigh*

But your recipe now has me WANTING !!! So, thanks for sharing :)

WV: rowlan - I gotta get rowlan to make this yummy cake!