Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ramblings of Recipes and Looking for Input

Spring is about new things, changes and nicer weather, right? I am thinking of changing some things for my blog, even though it will still have a concentration of vegan food and recipes, but wanted to get input from others. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement or if you would like to see anything specific on the blog. Thanks!

I do not have pictures to share (sorry) but I made some cupcakes for a friend’s birthday recently and the frosting was so yummy I could not stop eating it. I am normally not like that. This frosting used about 3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, 2 Tb cocoa powder and a few tablespoons of coconut milk to get it to the correct consistency. The coconut milk gave the frosting an amazingly rich and smooth texture. I highly recommend trying this at home.

For two recent events, I brought my Amazing Cashew Spread and people talk about it so favorably, I wanted to share it again. Here you go!

Amazing Cashew Spread

2 Roasted Red Peppers, whole
½ - ¾ cup Cashews, unsalted
½ cup Nutritional Yeast
1 Tb Balsamic Vinegar or Lemon Juice
1 tsp Salt

Place all the ingredients in a food process and blend until smooth. I served this with bread and it can be used for sandwiches, pizza, a dip, or a pasta sauce if you add more water.

For a thicker consistency, use more cashews. I buy roasted red peppers in a glass jar from Trader Joes so it is inexpensive and it has the exact quantity for this recipe, so not measuring required, you just need to drain off the excess liquid.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

That sounds so yummy, I'm going to have so make some. Thanks.

I really like the idea of this as a pasta sauce.

elizabet said...

What changes would you make if you did make changes? A new design or new approach to the whole blog. I need to make that spread, soon, and take ALL the credit! Oh! :)

Chelsea said...

Looking to broaden topics away from just recipes since I haven't had as much time for developing recipes. Focus on all things vegan, probably.

Mambo Girl said...

This is sooo yummy! Thanks for sharing in the Veg 101 cooking class last night!