Thursday, May 29, 2008

Happy Birthday

Someone might think I am crazy to put such a simplistic recipe on my blog. Last weekend I was camping and came home with an extra can of chili. It suddenly occured to me I had to make my favorite childhood dish.

Growing up, birthdays were my chance to request my favorite food. My little sis would be embarrassed to say what her food request was back then since now she is vegan and pigs are her favorite animal. I, too, had a favorite dish filled with foods I no longer eat. It was not until I found Trader Joe’s chili and Follow Your Heart cheddar cheese that I could properly replicate my childhood burritos. But please feel free to use your favorite brand of vegetarian chili and non-dairy cheese in your ingredients.




Chili "Cheese" Burritos

1 (14.7 oz) cab Vegetarian Chili
1 cup Vegan Cheddar Cheese, shredded
4 large Flour Tortilla

Place the tortillas on a large plate. Place 1/4 can of the chili in the middle of the tortillas followed by 1/4 cup of shredded "cheese" on top. Fold short sides of the burrito in and fold long side over the middle of the burrito. Fold the last side over securing the insides. Place, folds down, on top of a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 ºF.




You do have the option of creating a healthier version of the burrito if you choose to do so. Since comfort food is all about familiarity, I do not make any changes. You could add vegetables such as green onions, spinach and red peppers. You could also use less “cheese” and make it with a whole wheat, spelt or sprouted tortillas. I have never made this without loving it, so I hope you experience the same.

No comments: