Thursday, June 26, 2008

In The News

I've previously mentioned the Try Vegan Week we had here in Portland a short time ago. Part of this week of education, support and community was providing vegan mentors to those who wanted help in becoming vegan. I was matched with Barb Randall, a reporter from Lake Oswego. I thought it was a perfect pairing since she was very interested in vegan cuisine, and I grew up in Lake Oswego. The town was very different when I was growing up there, both in the community feel as well as the looks of it. It is weird to go into town now and see new parks and remodeled storefronts. Even the house I lived in for 16 years has been moved and expanded.

Barb was super friendly and I could tell right away that she wasn't looking to be vegan permanently, but I wanted her experience to be the best possible. I love introducing people to vegan foods and new ideas. I sent multiple recipes for her to try. She wrote about her experience in the June 26 issue of The Lake Oswego Review. Check it out!

I was most impressed with her mention of finding variety in a vegan diet, rather than restriction. So true! To my benefit, she also mentioned my blog and shared my amazing vegan cashew spread with her readers. So I want to share the recipe with you!


Amazing Cashew Spread

2 roasted Red Bell Peppers, whole
1/2 cup Cashews
1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
1 Tb Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp Salt

Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. For a more liquid consistency, add water to the sauce. Great for sandwiches, multi-purpose spread, pizzas and much more.

I make a pizza sandwich with the spread. Best if used with kalamata olive bread but really any will work. Just spread the cashew spread on both sides of the bread and layer with marinated tofu, tomato slices and basil.

No comments: