Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Smooth as Silken Tofu

As I have said, I love potlucks.  Potlucks give me the opportunity to share great tasting food with others and to experience other people's favorite dishes as well.  This week I had two potlucks to attend, but no time to prepare for them.  I tried to brainstorm something delicious and quick, and remembered my Chocolate Silk pie.  I decided to make two, one for each potluck.  This pie has a creamy texture that is sure to please.  It is perfect for the summer since it is a refrigerated pie rather than baked.  The pie uses ground almonds for the crust which is a wonderful complementary flavor to the chocolate.  I came up with this crust recipe when I was having trouble finding good tasting graham crackers with no honey.

The funny thing is, on the no bake pie, I did manage to burn my fingers making it!  I poured melted chocolate chips in the food processor and turned the machine on.  Nothing happened.  I took off the lid and decided to press on the plastic top of the blade to make sure it was fully in, not thinking that I was putting my hand right into hot melted chocolate.  Ouch!


Chocolate Silk Pie with Almond Crust

Filling:
2 - 12.3 oz pkgs Mori-Nu Silk
en Tofu (Extra Firm)
1 1/2 cups vegan Chocolate Chips, melted
3 Tb Organic Cane Sugar

Almond Crust:
2 cups Almond Meal Flour
1 Tb Cornstarch
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
3 Tb Organic Cane Sugar
1/4 cup Soy Margarine 
1 Tb Soy milk

To make the pie filling:  You can melt the chocolate chips either in the microwave or the stove top.  Use low heat and stir to a smooth consistency.  Place all ingredients in a food processor.  Blend until smooth.

To make the pie crust: Mix together almond meal, cornstarch, sugar and salt.  Pour melted margarine and soy milk into mixture and use a fork to combine.  Pat almond mixture into 9-inch pie pan.  Pour blended pie filling on top of crust, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Many of my friends do not own a food processor. Although this recipe can also be repared with a blender, I do recommend that people get a food processor.  It is my favorite kitchen appliance and I use mine a lot.  I use if for cheese spreads, quiche mixture, blending silken tofu yo use as an egg replacer, grating vegetables and so much more!  I love this machine.  It also combines ingredients much better than a blender tends to since it has a wider base and more power behind the blade.

One of the potlucks was at Laurelhurst Park in SE Portland.  It was a nice and sunny day outside.  A walk around the park when everything was finished and people leaving was a necessity.  There is a pond on the the east side of the park where you can often see blue herons, turtles and ducks.  And it was still duckling season!  Luckily, I got to see it all.  The blue heron was surprisingly relaxed, fishing for lunch.  Maybe he has gotten used to people always being around.  luckily it allowed me to get some great pictures.  I am so happy summer is starting!


2 comments:

Cassidy said...

Hi Chelsea! I forgot to tell you that I made this for the fourth and my family loved it. My dad hasn't gotten to have a 'cream' pie in 30+ years due to his dairy allergies. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Cassidy said...

This is random, but my folks are visiting here for the fourth this year and I am so making this again!! I can taste it already... mmmm!